You Are Reading

OUGD502 - Studio Brief 1 - Who am I now and what do I feel I have achieved as a Graphic Designer so far?




PPP Task 1:

1. Reflecting on your Summer what is your most memorable event and why?




My most memorable event would be Leeds Festival. The reason for this is because it is the first festival I have ever been to and I experienced it with two very important people in my life, my girlfriend and my best friend who lives in London. It is a large collection of memories ranging from the events of camping for the first time since my Silver Duke of Edinburgh award, performances I saw from nostalgic bands who I would of dreamed to see when I was younger, my first experience of crowd surfing, lots of mud, a lot of really bad food and warm beer but also a lot of interesting, fun and wild people I met whilst I was there.

2. Have you made any contacts over the Summer that you feel could be helpful over the coming year or so and what outcomes did you feel you achieved.




I don't think I have, there were a couple of customers I met at work (PC World) who when I got into conversations with them and expressed what I did and why I was knowledgeable on what I was talking to them about, they asked for contact details so they could be in contact for design work for their companies.

3. How did you meet/contact these contacts (methods used and how it happened).

All through my Summer full-time work as an advisor at PC World in Beeston. It isn't the most exciting job in the world but I do tend to spark up conversations with some very interesting people.

4. If you didn't make any contacts, why? Too busy working? Holiday? Commitments?




I did spend most of my time this Summer working my full time job to make up for my overspending in my first year of University and digging a bit far into my overdraft. This created in my opinion a bit of an obstacle in regards to creative direction as time was short but I still made time for briefs and freelancing for people I either knew or knew of.

5. What methods of contacting creatives can you think of and what would you ask?


I would really love to get into contact with Analogue who is a massive inspiration to me based in Leeds. I came to know about them when I stumbled across some posters they did for a custom toy show. This was through one of my favourite illustrators Drew Millward tweeting about the show as he was a part of it. After looking them up I fell in love with most of their work and have since kept a close eye on them. Because they are such a motivational influence to me I am quite scared to get in contact with them as I just have no idea what to say or how to speak to them. To get a placement with them would be absolutely insane (in a good way). I just don't know how to go about it.

Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.